We’re going to share some ideas for your engagement session…
…and this week, it’s all about location! I usually get asked by couples to pick out a location for their engagement session. And while I have many great picturesque locales in mind, I find that the end result — the engagement photos — should be more about the bride and groom-to-be and not about the scenery.
This is why I believe it is important for the bride and groom to pick out their perfect engagement session location.
Having been a recent bride myself, I know very well what goes into the process of hiring the right wedding photographer, to choosing how and where I want our engagement photos to be set.
I was very picky on how I wanted Brian and my engagement photos to look.
But despite being picky, when our photographer asked me where we wanted to shoot, I knew right off the bat the look and feel I wanted for our photographs.
Brian and I had our photo shoot in downtown Houston. I took into consideration several points before making sure this is where I wanted it to be.
Here are a few tips (and some examples as to why I chose our particular shoot location) to keep in mind when setting out to find the perfect engagement session location:
- Your style – Are you looking for a chic, modern look to your images or looking for that rustic, traditional vibe? Go for a theme that best fits you and your soon-to-be life partner. I’m definitely more into the modern look. So I knew a rustic or woodsy theme would not fit us, nor would I enjoy looking at those photos as much as one with a modern look for us.
- Special meaning – consider occasions when trying to narrow down a location. Where did you first meet? Where was your first date? Where did your fiance proposed to you?
- Pastimes – Do you and your significant other like to read books? Maybe a bookstore or library would be a great location. Into hiking? A state park or nature reserve might be the ideal location!
- Look for inspiration – Look online for ideas and explore other engagement photos for ideas. We love Pinterest for that purpose and even have our own engagement ideas board.
- You still have no idea – That’s OK! We are happy to offer you our suggestions.